The Joint Commission International (the most relevant organization for health accreditation worldwide) includes the reduction of the risk of falls as one of the most important parameters to take into account in the area of patient safety for hospital accreditation. According to the WHO (data from 2018), falls are the second leading cause of death due to accidental injuries, an estimated 646,000 people die annually due to falls and those over 65 years of age suffer the most fatal falls.
Falls are more frequent in women than in men, especially after 50 years since menopause can cause osteoporosis to appear that weakens the bones and makes them more likely to break. The risk of falls increases with age, with the hip fracture being the one that occurs most frequently (according to the Gerontological Institute, 26,000 hip fractures occur annually in Spain) and can have very conditioning consequences of loss of mobility, reduction of independence or even fatal.
There are some measures that we can take as prevention to avoid falls or that of family members or people in our care:
- Exercise to strengthen muscles and maintain healthy bones
- Avoid obstacles in walking paths to avoid tripping, such as carpets, cables, steps …
- Check that we have no visual or hearing problems that condition our perception of obstacles
- Take into account whether the medication can cause drowsiness or lightheadedness
- Put preventive protections on the bed or armchair
- Condition the bathroom with handles and non-slip mats in the bathtub
- Wear hip protectors that cushion the blow in the event of a fall
The Ubiotex Hip Protector prevents hip injuries from a high risk of falls thanks to its polyurethane foam pads that cushion the blow. There are several models adapted for every need such as those that are designed to be worn at all times and are used as underwear with the built-in pads, the overlay protector that is held by straps and can be removed if necessary and the Optimus that can be placed easily on clothes in risky situations thanks to its velcro closure. It is comfortable, safe and functional.
Find your nearest point of sale and avoid risks